The Charity Commission report ‘Cause for Complaint’ states: ‘an effective complaints management system is a proven way of maintaining and building relationships with the people on whom the charity depends.’
Handling complaints well:
• Demonstrates commitment to clients and other stakeholders
• Demonstrates commitment to providing the best possible service
• Helps to find out about things that have gone wrong so they can be fixed
• Helps prevent things going wrong again in future
We view complaints as an opportunity to learn & improve for the future, as well as a chance to try to put things right for the person [or organisation] that made the complaint.
Our policy is:
• To provide a fair complaints procedure which is clear and easy to use for anyone wishing to make a complaint
• To publicise the existence of our complaints procedure so that people know how to contact us to make a complaint
• To make sure everyone at our organisation knows what to do if a complaint is received
• To make sure all complaints are investigated fairly and in a timely way
• To make sure that complaints are, wherever possible, resolved and relationships are repaired
• To gather information which helps us to improve what we do
DEFINITION OF A COMPLAINT
A complaint is any expression of dissatisfaction, whether justified or not, about any aspect of our organisation.
WHERE COMPLAINTS COME FROM
Complaints may come from members of the public, or individuals and other organisations. This policy does not cover complaints from staff, who should use our Discipline and Grievance policies.
A complaint can be received verbally, by phone, by email or in writing. However, there will usually need to be a written complaint for it to be further considered.
All complaint information will be handled sensitively, telling only those who need to know and following any relevant data protection requirements.
Overall responsibility for this policy and its implementation lies with the Trustees.
This policy is reviewed regularly and updated as required.
Adopted on:……………………………[date] Last reviewed:…………………………[date]
Example Church Complaints Procedure